In this blog I'm going to give you five tips to consider when buying metal fish wall art. Whether you are looking for a large, impressive piece of sculpture which makes a statement on your wall or just something to brighten up a dark corner it's worth thinking about these tips to make sure you buy a sculpture that will continue to bring you joy each time you look at it.
Buy something unique.
1. If you really want to have something on your wall that's original, then before purchasing metal fish wall art try and find a sculptor who makes pieces that are one offs. If an artist is building something by hand, then no two pieces will be exactly the same unlike machine made items that are mass produced, hand-made pieces will have a personality all of their own.
Commission a sculpture.
2. The next thing to consider is could you have some creative input in the making of your metal fish wall art? Well, if you commission a sculpture, you can decide if you want a Sea bass or a Mackerel, a Pike or a Stickleback. The choice is endless. I personally love the challenge of constructing creatures I haven't made before. A Seahorse is definitely on the list.
Is it ethically made?
3. The next thing to consider is, is your metal fish wall art made ethically. I make my fish and lobster sculptures from recycled materials. I use the ring pull lids from tin food cans for the body as these look like scales and the tins folded and shaped for the tail and fins. I use hand tools and the sculptures are held together with pop rivets. I am conscious that my art should not add to the already considerable enviromental problems our world faces.
Hanging your Sculpture
4. When you have decided where you are going to hang your metal fish wall art sculpture you need to make sure the fixings you choose will support it adequately. Because all my sculptures are hollow and made from lightweight materials, they are very light but surprisingly strong. I suspend them from fishing line and they can be hung from the same fixings as your average painting.
The copper coloured lobster has legs made from recycled copper and I have decorated it with copper leaf and acrylic paint. the one below is decorated with acrylic paints and metallic powders.
Support your local Artists and Craftspeople.
5. If you purchase handmade metal fish wall art then you will be making someone who has put their time and love into that artwork very happy. By buying something unique you are helping to support a small business and keep them going so we all continue to have that choice. If we all buy mass produced soulless stuff just to fill the spaces on our walls, then these one off pieces won't be available.
So there are my five tips or reasons worth considering before buying metal fish wall art or any artwork for our walls. Variety is the spice of life and having paintings and sculptures on your walls that are a true reflection of your taste and personality will bring you joy and joy to the artists you choose to support.